Saturday, June 14, 2008

Burial Service

The family and some of George's close friends gathered at the Eastside Cemetery in Woodbridge for the interment of their cremated remains. Karen had kept the urns awaiting a nice day in the spring. It was very appropriate that the event was held on Flag Day since George was such a patriot. I said a few words and then read this little poem that mom had given me:
A Native American Prayer
Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there; I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glint on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you wake in the morning hush.
I am the swift, uplifting rush,
Of quiet birds in circling flight.
I am the soft starlight at night.
Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there; I do not sleep.

After the short service we gathered back at Elmcroft for lunch.

Laurie Blandino, Karen Odell, Jacob Odell


Rachel, Emily, Jacob Odell
Click to enlarge

No comments:

Post a Comment